This article will feature 49 foods that can improve a man’s erectile dysfunction. There three classes of foods that a man should increase in their diet to improve their sexual function namely:
- Hormonal Boosters
- Nitric oxide Boosters
- Libido Boosters
Various components such as curcumin, zinc, magnesium, and some others are essential in improving one’s sexual function. Some foods that possess these components are quite common in our daily diet such as chicken, beef, and pork while some quite uncommon.
If your erectile dysfunction is mild or has been occurring for less than 3 months it is worth attempting to improve your erection the natural way with certain food groups.
Natural ways to improve your sexual function include lifestyle changes and better choices with your diet. Foods that are commonly used to improve your erectile dysfunction are known as aphrodisiacs or superfoods. This article lists the ones that have the potential to help you in the bedroom.
There are 3 types of foods that men should increase in their diet to improve their sexual function:
1. Pathein Male hormone boosters
Many men are concerned with male hormone. Your male hormones naturally fall as you age. Of course, if you feel your symptoms are getting noticeable, you should talk with a men’s health doctor about testing and treatment. Regardless you should always attempt to eat foods that foster a healthy level of male hormones.
2. Chimichagua Nitric oxide boosters
Nitric oxide is one of the factors that play a key role in the process of an erection. Erectile dysfunction is usually a result of increased oxidation or a decrease in the formation of nitric oxide.
3. Libido boosters
Although libido and male hormone levels are strongly related in men, there are foods that you can consume to increase your libido independently of your levels.
As with most whole foods and good quality produce many of the foods listed below have multiple benefits for your sexual health and general wellbeing.
Foods to improve your sexual health and performance
Below is a list of common foods that have shown promising results in the bedroom. Foods marked with an asterisk (*) appear in more than one category.
Zinc is among the most important nutrients for your sexual health. It was shown that the supplementation of marginally zinc-deficient elderly men for half a year leads to an increase in male sex hormone levels.
- 1. Oysters
- 2. Beef
- 3. Chicken*
- 4. Pork*
- 5. Lentils
Omega 3 fatty acids can help you improve your erectile function, especially when it is caused by restricted blood flow. In a long-term study, it was reported that fish oil supplementation improves the semen quality and helps with male hormone levels.
- 6. Fish
- 7. Walnuts
- 8. Tofu
- 9. Flax seeds
- 10. Chia seeds
Curcumin is the primary substance in turmeric and is known for its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. It can be used to prevent hypertension-mediated male reproductive dysfunction.
- 11. Turmeric
Magnesium has properties that help relax your muscles. It helps with muscle and nerve function and regulates blood pressure.
- 12. Dark chocolate
- 13. Avocados
- 14. Nuts
- 15. Bananas
- 16. Leafy greens
- 17. Okra
Arginine can be used to improve fertility, and has been shown to increase nitric oxide, improve erectile function, and protect the sperm.
- 18. Turkey
- 19. Pork*
- 20. Chicken*
- 21. Spirulina
- 22. Peanuts
- 36. Chickpeas
Fenugreek has been used as an anti-inflammatory, libido-boosting treatment. It can contribute to the control of male hormone levels and improve libido.
- 23. Fanugreek seed
Lycopene is found in tomatoes and is known for it’s benefit to your heart health. The regular consumption of tomatoes has been proven to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
- 24. Tomatoes
- 25. Guava*
- 26. Papaya
- 27. Red bell peppers
- 28. Watermelon
- 29. Pink grapefruit
Vitamin E is said to increase blood flow and oxygen to your genitals. It also is a key player in the production of your sex hormones to give you that sex drive boost.
- 30. Almonds
- 31. Avocados
- 32. Spinach
- 33. Sunflower seeds*
- 34. Kiwi
- 35. Broccoli
When combined with Vitamin E, Vitamin C supports your male hormone status.
- 36. Guava
- 37. Kiwi
- 38. Strawberries
- 39. Bell peppers
- 40. Oranges
- 41. Papaya
Vitamin D: It has been shown that men with lowered levels of Vitamin D have a high possibility of lower male sex hormones.
- 42. Salmon
- 43. Mushrooms
L-Arganine is an amino acid used to make nitric oxide, a molecule that facilitates the flow of blood to the penis during an erection, and is the most common amino acid found in sexual supplements.
- 44. Turkey
- 45. Pork*
- 46. Chicken*
- 47. Spirulina
- 48. Peanuts
- 49. Chickpeas
Easy recipe to boost your sexual health
Here is an easy Turmeric Chicken recipe to boost your sexual health.
- 1 chicken, about 1.5 kg
- 300 gr. coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt & pepper
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- 4 capsicums (assorted colours)
- Preheat the oven on- air 180οC Celsius.
- Cut the chicken in 10 pieces
- In a bowl, mix the chicken, coconut milk, chilli flakes, curcumin, garlic gloves, salt, pepper, the juice, and zest of the limes.
- Cover it and put it in the fridge of 3-4 hours.
- Cut the peppers into strips and put them on the bottom of your tray.
- Put the marinated chicken on top of the peppers.
- Bake it for 50-60 minutes.
All the food mentioned can improve a man’s sexual function. There are foods specifically for libido while there are others specifically for male sex hormones. With that in mind, one can modify his diets according to his preference and desired effects. One can also get those important components through foods or food supplements. However, for serious cases of sexual dysfunction, it would always be best to consult with a sex health doctor.
- Akinyemi AJ, Adedara IA, Thome GR, et al. Dietary supplementation of ginger and turmeric improves reproductive function in hypertensive male rats. Toxicol Rep. 2015;2:1357-1366. Published 2015 Oct 13.
- Applegate, C., Rowles, J. and Erdman, J., 2019. Can Lycopene Impact the Androgen Axis in Prostate Cancer?: A Systematic Review of Cell Culture and Animal Studies. Nutrients, 11(3), p.633.
- Chen, C., Zhai, H., Cheng, J., Weng, P., Chen, Y., Li, Q., Wang, C., Xia, F., Wang, N. and Lu, Y., 2019. Causal Link Between Vitamin D and Total T. in Men: A Mendelian Randomization Analysis. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 104(8), pp.3148-3156.
- Chen, J., Li, Y., Li, Z., Lu, H., Zhu, P., & Li, C. (2018). Dietary l-arginine supplementation improves semen quality and libido of boars under high ambient temperature. Animal, 12(8), 1611-1620.
- J Sex Marital Ther. 1998 Apr-Jun; 24(2):139-43.
- Da Cruz, A., Guerra, N., de Souza, K., de Castro Eleutério, I., da Silva, L., Otoni, E., Alves, M. and Regis, W., 2017. The action of herbal treatment on the libido: aspects of nutritional intervention in increasing sexual desire. Nutrire, 42(1).
- Dean, R. and Lue, T., 2005. Physiology of Penile Erection and Pathophysiology of Erectile Dysfunction. Urologic Clinics of North America, 32(4), pp.379-395.
- Glade MJ and Smith K. Oxidative Stress, Nutritional Antioxidants, and Male hormone Secretion in Men. Ann Nutr Disord & Ther. 2015;2(1): 1019
- Kenjale, R., Shah, R. and Sathaye, S., 2008. Effects of Chlorophytum borivilianum on sexual behaviour and sperm count in male rats. Phytotherapy Research, 22(6), pp.796-801.
- Risso A, Pellegrino FJ, Relling AE, Corrada Y. Effect of Long-Term Fish Oil Supplementation on Semen Quality and Serum T. Concentrations in Male Dogs. International Journal of Fertility & Sterility. 2016 Jul-Sep;10(2):223-231.
- Shim JS, Kim DH, Bae JH, Moon du G. Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Erectile Dysfunction in a Rat Model of Atherosclerosis-induced Chronic Pelvic Ischemia. J Korean Med Sci. 2016;31(4):585-589.
- Shukla, K., Mahdi, A., Ahmad, M., Shankhwar, S., Rajender, S. and Jaiswar, S., 2009. Mucuna pruriens improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus–pituitary–gonadal axis.Fertility and Sterility, 92(6), pp.1934-1940.
- Steels E, Rao A, Vitetta L. Physiological aspects of male libido enhanced by standardized Trigonella foenum-graecum extract and mineral formulation. Phytother Res. 2011;25(9):1294-1300.
- Sudha Srivastava, Prashant Desai, Evans Coutinho, Girjesh Govil, Mechanism of Action of L-arginine on the Vitality of Spermatozoa is Primarily Through Increased Biosynthesis of Nitric Oxide, Biology of Reproduction, Volume 74, Issue 5, 1 May 2006, Pages 954–958,
- Thakur, M. and Dixit, V., 2007. Effect of Some Vajikaran Herbs on Pendiculation Activities and In vitro Sperm Count in Male. Sexuality and Disability, 25(4), pp.203-207.
- Thakur, M., Loeppert, R., Praznik, W. and Dixit, V., 2008. Effect of Some Ayurvedic Vajikaran Rasayana Herbs on Heat Induced Testicular Damage in Male Albino Rats. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Treatment, 5(1).
- Tocharus, C., Smitasiri, Y. and Jeenapongsa, R., 2006. Butea superba Roxb. enhances Penile erection in rats. Phytotherapy Research, 20(6), pp.484-489.